(Posted Wed. Dec 12th, 2018)
With U.S. Farmers & Ranchers Alliance (USFRA) new 2.0 focus of elevating farmers and ranchers as the solution for sustainability, the organization is proud to announce National Corn Growers Association Past President Chip Bowling as its fourth Chairman.
Since USFRA’s inception in 2010, Chip’s predecessors include Bob Stallman, Nancy Kavazanjian and Brad Greenway. Also announced at the fall board meeting in Kansas City, coinciding with NAFB Convention, was USFRA’s new Farm, Food, Facts, which is the exclusive podcast on food and agriculture for retailers, CPGs, sustainability supply chain leaders and food trade media.
Elected at the USFRA board meeting on November 8, Chip Bowling will be joined by a new executive committee, including:
- Vice Chairman: Scott VanderWal, representing American Farm Bureau Federation
- Treasurer: Blair Van Zetten, representing American Egg Board
- Secretary: Anne Meis, representing Nebraska Soybean Board
- At-Large: Jennifer Houston, representing, National Cattlemen's Beef Association
- At-Large Premier: Michael Parrish, representing Bayer
- Immediate Past Chairman: Brad Greenway, representing National Pork Board
“I truly believe farmers and ranchers are the change makers, and real sustainability starts with each acre,” said Chip Bowling, USFRA Chairman and Maryland crop farmer. “With 48 percent of our land in the stewardship of America's farmers and ranchers, now more than ever, we need all of food and agriculture to speak in unison and ensure we have a seat at the table across the entire value chain. Our Farm, Food, Facts podcast is the first of many deliberate steps in proactively engaging food retailers and CPGs with the farmer and rancher perspective.”
USFRA’s Farm, Food, Facts podcast, hosted by SupermarketGuru Phil Lempert, food trends editor for NBC News’ Today Show, discusses top stories about today’s food. Phil engages directly with a farmer or rancher in real-time about questions surrounding sustainability and food production. Also, sustainability thought leaders will offer insights into food trends and perceptions of farming practices. It airs every Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. CST. Visit www.fooddialogues.com/farmfoodfacts to sign up for the podcast and listen to the archived episodes, which are also available on iTunes, Stitcher and Soundcloud.
Of USFRA’s 15-member Board of Directors, our new board members are:
- Joe Koss, Culver’s: Joe Koss is president and chief executive officer of Culver Franchising System, Inc. (CFSI), the franchisor for more than 670 Culver’s restaurants in 25 states with over 20,000 team members.
- Brody Stapel, Edge Dairy Farmer Cooperative: Brody Stapel of Double Dutch Dairy LLC, farms in Cedar Grove, Wis., and serves as President of Edge Dairy Farmer Cooperative.
USFRA’s Board of Directors, consisting primarily of farmers and ranchers, includes: Jim Adams (U.S. Poultry & Egg Association), Phil Borgic (National Pork Producers Council), Chip Bowling (National Corn Growers Association), Cameron Gibson (United Soybean Board), Brad Greenway (National Pork Board), Jennifer Houston (National Cattlemen's Beef Association), Joe Koss, (Culver’s), Rochelle Krusemark (Minnesota Soybean Research & Promotion Council), Anne Meis (Nebraska Soybean Board), Jeanette Merritt (Indiana Soybean Alliance), Michael Parrish (Bayer), Roberta Simpson-Dolbeare (Illinois Soybean Association), Brody Stapel (Edge Dairy Farmer Cooperative), Blair Van Zetten (American Egg Board), Scott VanderWal (American Farm Bureau Federation)