NCGA is an equal opportunity employer.
Responsible for developing and implementing communication plans in support of NCGA strategic priorities, including public relations, writing news and editorials, event coordination, and social media.
Vice President of Communications
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in developing annual goals and strategic plan for the Communications Department related to market demand-building programs.
- Provide input to and coordinate with DC-based staff related to programs that involve policy elements – such as ethanol and trade.
- Develop content (talking points, news stories, editorials, press releases, etc.) in support of assigned topics and communication plans.
- Monitor news and trends related to assigned topics.
- Write and edit news articles, news releases, editorials, speeches, background papers, and other NCGA communications as needed.
Media Relations/Public Relations:
- Develop proactive media relations program by identifying and cultivating relationships with. reporters-editors to effectively position NCGA as a leading agriculture organization.
- Coordinate and respond to media inquiries, and initiate pitches to media related to assigned topics.
- Update “media tracking sheet” daily to indicate media inquiries and outcomes.
- Utilize tracking tools (TrendKite and Cision) to monitor issues and track coverage for assigned topics.
- Respond to state affiliates’ request for information or assistance with communications.
- Provide information and status updates to NCGA staff, Action Teams, and our state affiliates as needed.
- Develop and implement social media campaigns as needed/ called for in communication plans.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong public relations skills, with knowledge of agriculture (preferably corn).
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic communication plans.
- Able to take initiative and drive projects from concept through implementation and evaluation.
- Advanced writing skills.
- Strong analytical skills and familiarity with reporting tools (Cision, TrendKite) for issues management.
- Experience implementing social media campaigns.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Good interpersonal skills with collaborative, team-building approach
- Able to travel, as needed.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or Public Relations with a minimum of 5 years of experience. Agriculture and/or association communications experience is a definite plus. OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to HR@ncga.com by June 16.